New York City's original water supply is now the Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic Park, a linear state park and walking trail that runs about 26 miles from Croton-on-Hudson in the north to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx in the south. Notably, the trail passes through the Lyndhurst estate in the south end of Tarrytown, very near Washington Irving’s home Sunnyside. It also passes Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and Irvington's Octagon House. The legendary Spook Rock is a short distance east of the pedestrian bridge carrying the OCA over Route 117.
The Old Croton Aqueduct trail is suitable for jogging, hiking, biking and walking with strollers, although some sections of the trail are rough. The trail can also be muddy after a heavy rain. First time visitors will want to pick up a copy of Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct trail map and guide for assistance in navigating some of the trail’s detours. In the villages of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow the trail often passes through backyards, offering a unique perspective on life in the two villages.
How to Visit the Old Croton Aqueduct Trail
You can pick up the trail anywhere it crosses a public street. There is metered street parking in the downtown areas of both Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. Tarrytown's McKeel Avenue municipal lot, adjacent to the OCA, is a convenient point to enter the trail. You are welcome to bring your own bike.
Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct and Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic Park sponsor walking tours and even brief explorations of a portion of the original 1842 brick water tunnel: https://visitsleepyhollow.com/organizer/friends-of-the-old-croton-aqueduct/
Attractions Along the Old Croton Aqueduct Trail
The Croton Arch of Triumph. According to Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct, "The Croton Arch of Triumph is a 2022 sculpture by artist/architect Dionisio Cortes Ortega. Using historically-accurate materials and working to scale, Ortega re-created a cross-section of the original Old Croton Aqueduct Tunnel completed in 1842. The Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct commissioned Ortega to build this sculpture next to the trail at The Keeper's House in Dobbs Ferry over several weeks in October/November 2022."
The Ossining Weir. Over its duration as a public water supply, the original Croton Aqueduct had a total of six weirs over or next to the tunnel. Weir tenders could manually control flow by lowering or raising enormous gates in the tunnel. Entire sections could be drained of water for repair or maintenance. The Ossining weir is occasionally open for free public tours; check the calendar below for upcoming dates.
The Keeper's House. During its active years, the Aqueduct was divided into distinct maintenance sections, each with a dedicated supervisor who was provided a house on or near their section of tunnel. The only surviving example is the Dobbs Ferry keeper's house, at 15 Walnut Street. The house now serves as the park's visitor and education center, with trail maps and exhibits on the history of the Aqueduct and the New York City water system. Restrooms, a water fountain, and wi-fi are available on site, and the Children's Book Nook is open the last weekend of every month.
Keeper's House hours: Saturday–Sunday, 1:00–4:00 pm (winter hours, starting January 1, are 12:00–3:00 pm).

