The Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse (aka Tarrytown Lighthouse and Kingsland Point Lighthouse) was once a half-mile off shore, warning ships away from dangerous shoals on the east side of the Hudson River. Years of landfill by a now-demolished General Motors factory moved the shoreline within a few feet of the light. The cast iron tower was installed in 1883. Over its 78 years of operation, 12 light keepers and their families occupied the five-story structure.
Sleepy Hollow's village historian brings to life stories from the days this was a crucial navigational aid on a busy water highway!
Where: Kingsland Point Park, 299 Palmer Avenue, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591
2022 dates: Due to preservation and restoration work, the lighthouse is closed this season.
Info: http://www.sleepyhollowny.gov Village of Sleepy Hollow Recreation Department, 914-366-5109