A trip to Sleepy Hollow isn’t complete without a visit to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and its famous residents, including Elizabeth Arden, Brooke Astor, Andrew Carnegie, Walter Chrysler, Samuel Gompers, Washington Irving, and William Rockefeller. Author Doug Keister sums it up: “Sleepy Hollow has it all; spooky lilting 18th century death’s head tombstones, twisting narrow roads, majestic mausoleums and magnificent statuary, perfectly placed onto a hilly woodland canvas. It’s a cemetery with a capital ‘C’.”
2017 Daytime guided tours
Advance reservations required. Two-hour afternoon tours $19.99, one-hour afternoon tours $9.99.
• The Classic: This two-hour afternoon walking tour offers a great overview of what makes this 168-year old place so special. The first stop is none other than the illustrious Washington Irving, author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. After that it’s on to the Receiving Vault – a favorite especially among Dark Shadows fans – and some of the most lovely plots in the south end before making your way north to Andrew Carnegie’s final resting place, William Rockefeller’s family mausoleum and much more along the way. This tour is offered every every Saturday and Sunday from 2 pm–4 pm in September (plus Labor Day Monday), October (plus Columbus Day Monday) and November. The meeting point is the cemetery’s South Gate, 430 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY.
• The Original Knickerbocker: Washington Irving & The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: Trace the footsteps of Washington Irving’s most famous character Ichabod Crane in “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” as you walk to the author’s final resting place during this one-hour walking tour. Learn more about the talented Mr. Irving and his influence on popular culture today. Every Saturday and Sunday from 11 am–12 noon in September, plus Labor Day Monday. In October and November every Saturday and Sunday, 11 am–12 noon, as well as 12:30–1:30 pm. On Columbus Day Monday from 11 am–12 noon only. The meeting point is the cemetery’s South Gate, 430 North Broadway.
2017 Evening tours
Advance reservations required. Two-hour evening tours $24.99.
• The Classic Lantern Tour follows the same route as the daytime tour, but the atmosphere is completely different in the dark. Every Friday and Saturday night in September from 8–10 pm. In October and November every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night from 7–9 pm, and also 10 pm to 12 midnight, including Halloween night (the 10 pm tour stops after 11/11). Every weekday night October 16–31 from 7–9 pm. The meeting point is the cemetery’s North Gate, 540 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY.
• Murder and Mayhem Evening Lantern Tours: Looking to meet some of the more infamous people buried in Sleepy Hollow? Meet fallen angels and helpless victims on this two-hour walking tour. Hear about the flamboyant businesswoman branded “the wickedest woman in New York,” a debonair counterfeiter, victims of “the Mad Murderer of Sleepy Hollow,” a brotherly murder-suicide, and the celebrated opera singer who was alleged to have assaulted, extorted, and killed various of her seven husbands, and more. Subject matter is not suitable for children. Dates: Every Saturday night in September, October and November from 8–10 pm, and also Thursday nights from 8–10 pm in October and November. October 30 and 31 from 8–10 pm, and on Halloween Night also 10 pm to 12 midnight. The meeting point is the cemetery’s North Gate, 540 North Broadway.
• The Good, the Bad and the Unusual: Join Sara Mascia and Tara Van Tassell from our local historical society as they dish about our colorful local residents and some of our world famous inhabitants. You can guess who will be good, bad, or unusual! Among the many locals are self-styled frontiersman Alfred Weed, poet and eccentric Minna Irving, and wealthy industrialists William Rockefeller and John Archbold. They will also bring guests to visit some of the individuals who became locals by making Sleepy Hollow their final resting place, such as labor leader Samuel Gompers, and many others all by the light of kerosene lanterns. Yes, Tara is a real Van Tassell! Meeting point: North Gate (540 N. Broadway, Sleepy Hollow)
September 23, 29 and 30 from 7 pm – 9 pm, October 6, 7 and 13 from 7 pm – 9 pm.