Lyndhurst, 635 South Broadway, Tarrytown, NY 10591, 914-631-4481. This Gothic Revival mansion was originally designed in 1838 by American architect Alexander Jackson Davis for former New York City mayor William Paulding, Jr. Paulding named his country villa “Knoll.” In 1864 Davis doubled the size of the house for its second owner, George Merritt, who renamed it “Lyndenhurst” after the Linden trees growing on the property. In 1880 railroad baron Jay Gould purchased the estate, maintaining it as his summer home and country retreat until his death in 1892. The mansion and its 67-acre estate house remained in the Gould family until 1961. It’s now a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The grounds and outbuildings are a fine example of 19th century landscape design. Much of the layout was accomplished by Ferdinand Mangold, whose tenure spanned both Merritt and Gould ownership of the property. Both Mangold and Merritt are buried nearby in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Paulding is in the adjacent churchyard of the Old Dutch Church.
Fans of the 1960s television series Dark Shadows may recall that Lyndhurst in served as the Collinwood estate in the feature-length films House of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night of Dark Shadows (1971). Sleepy Hollow Cemetery’s receiving vault made a cameo in House of Dark Shadows as the Collins family mausoleum.
The grounds are host to annual craft fairs and other special events. Mansion tours: see www.lyndhurst.org for current ticket prices and tour times. Other rates apply for special events.
Parking: on site.
Check our Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown calendar for more special events.
Historic Tours with a Halloween Twist
This isn’t your typical historic house tour! The first floor of this Gothic Revival mansion is extensively decorated for the Fall with lush foliage and vignettes from legends and fairy tales including King Arthur’s round table, the Mad Hatter’s tea party and Rumpelstiltskin weaving straw into gold. A variety of former castle dwellers including Henry VIII and his six wives in the blue parlor, Sleeping Beauty in the reception room, vampire bats in the Library and a wizard’s dinner in the great dining room. The second floor of the mansion is not decorated and visitors can see Lyndhurst’s main rooms in all their traditional splendor.
As a special treat, throughout October some rarely seen historical objects from the museum collection are on display. These tours are appropriate for children of all ages and they sell out quickly, so advance tickets are highly recommended.
• 2016 Dates: Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays, September 30th through October 31st. On the hour, 10 am to 4 pm. Last tour at 4 pm.
For information and ticket sales: www.lyndhurst.org, 914-631-4481.